Thursday, November 5, 2009

Re-Introduction and Rant

Ok...so I'm known to rant. Not because I think people really care to hear what I deem to be the glorious and infallible truth, but because I come from a long line of opinionated and judgmental people in my family. I'm passionate and that passion plus a trait of stammering I inherited from my father tends to lead to me sounding a bit pissed off.

That's ok...

Because I can write about how the world around me really aggravates me sometimes... So this first rant is little bit of an introduction about myself, a taste of the things that really get my blood hot and what you can expect to read here you find any of this stuff interesting.

As a young black man(don't say I didn't warn you...might want to hide your purse and avoid delegating responsibility to me...I mean it...*bling*) I have friends that are young. We sit around and talk about what we want our lives to be like and how we want to own our own businesses. However I am amazed at how SOME of them simply go about trying to live daydreams instead of working, learning and then venturing out into the world head on...

Look Here, Spinning Rims! → My first boss told me to learn as much as I can about what it is I wanted to do before trying to start a business of my own. Why did he tell me this, let's see...because he had already done the same thing!

1. Why take my own precious money that I barely had any of and spend it simply to “learn on the job.” People are so quick to say “I hate my boss/job/the thing that keeps my lights on...” when really they need to suck it up, work harder and learn from the successes they indirectly profit from and the failures that don't readily come out their back pockets(if they are lucky). It's the “I'm tired of working for the man all of about 3 to 5 years” when in actuality these people are the gauntlet of knowledge that can beat some sense into you about things...on their dime!

2. You need credibility and relationships before starting your own business. Working for others is a great way of showing others that you can be trusted, don't have a chronic drug addiction and can add enough value every week to get a paycheck. Inevitably you will meet people that will need your services and skills (that you calm are so dope, so tight that you MUST start your own business). Without building establishing these relationships, there is a slim chance your business will succeed.

3. The best friends are the ones that pay you when you work for them!!!! One of my favorite points I hear the conservative Neal Boortz make constantly is that a poor person can't give you a job. Building a business model around helping friends and random encounters of the Craig's List kind is just enough frustration to...you guessed it WORK FOR FREE!!!

So what is the point of all this...I don't have a business, but I do have daydreams of having one someday. Before you tell me you are "working for yourself", please show me something like...I don't know...invoices that say “Paid In Full” on them!

I'll keep writing...I need the practice because my spelling sucks and snatching handbags is too much work for me...*phew* Free Common Sense!

No comments:

Post a Comment